Application Process

How We Can Help

The Trust awards grants:

  • To clear domestic gas and electricity debts to EDF Energy and other suppliers
  • To purchase essential energy efficient white goods and cookers (known as Further Assistance Payments (FAP))
  • For Bankruptcy and Debt Relief Order fees.

Gas & electricity debts to EDF Energy and other suppliers - You must attach a copy of your most recent bill or demand for payment showing the up to date balance on your account. The bill must be based on actual usage, estimates cannot be accepted. Alternatively for debts with EDF you can submit recent meter readings as part of your application. For debts owed to suppliers other than EDF Energy payment will only be considered where you can show that clearing these debts will enable you to budget better for your current bills.

Energy efficient white goods and cookers - Payments for energy efficient white goods and cookers may be made where a special need for the item is shown. We will need a letter from an appropriate professional, e.g. health visitor, social worker or advice worker, confirming your need. If you need the item because of illness or disability in your family, you will also need to send us proof of that illness or disability.

Insolvency fees - Applicants must not have previously been declared bankrupt. They must provide a full list of debts and have received advice from a professional advice worker or intermediary. Bankruptcy applications will not be considered from homeowners and those with assets above a value of £1,000 and total debts less than £15,000. As of 6 April 2016 all applications for Bankruptcy must include the 12 digit ADJ payment reference. DRO applications MUST include the ID number generated from the Insolvency Service's online application process. Please remember that you must also submit a full list of debts for all clients seeking help with Insolvency fees. Please click here for the Insolvency declaration.

Items the Trust cannot help with

The Trust cannot give you a loan or give you help with bills you have already paid or items you have already bought. The Trust will also not help with:

  • Fines for criminal offences
  • Overpayments of benefits
  • Educational or training needs
  • Business debts Debts to central government departments e.g. tax and national insurance
  • Catalogues, credit cards, personal loans and other forms of non-secured lending
  • Medical equipment, aids and adaptations
  • Deposits to secure accommodation
  • Holidays